Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Pizzelle experience..

Maybe I should start with what a Pizzelle is... Well, it is a little Italian cookie. It means Lace Cookie. They are cooked on a Pizzelle iron. There are different kinds of irons, from ones you place on the stove, to the one I have here. They are all from 25-30 bucks... not bad.
You make up a batter, it has lots of eggs in it. You drop them on the iron and close and press, and when the light goes off, presto... cookies. They are very, very similar to ice cream cones. (the sugar ones..waffle cones? anyways, I love them!) The original recipe calls for Anise oil and seed, but... I HATE licorice flavor... so no anise for me! I made them once that way and the whole house smelled that way! I gagged for days.

Here is what the inside of the iron looks like. You can see that there is a pretty design. I have seen some irons that have removable plates. Pretty cool!

You batter is pretty loose, a little thicker than cake batter. I find that if I place my dollops up high on the iron, then they mash fully into the pattern.


This is what happens the first time..because you spray the first time on the iron so that they don't stick, then I never spray again. But, because of the spray, they do this weird fluffing thing.

Here is a pile of them made... after I ate about 8 of them... hee, hee... Anyways, I like them dark and crisp, but my kids like them like the bottom right hand side one... little fatter and lighter. It makes it kinda softer.
You can roll these when they come out of the iron. You can roll them into a log or cone. My SIL fills her's with sweet cream.
They are also really, really good with different flavors... one of our favorites is lemon poppy seed, and peppermint...
Recipe:
6 eggs, beat well
3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 C sugar
1 C butter, melted
4 tsp bk powder
2 tsp of oil or extract
2 T vanilla
Beat eggs and sugar until smooth, then add in melted butter, vanilla and extract. Sift flour and baking powder into the mixture and mix well. Dough is very sticky and thicker than cake batter.
Enjoy and have fun!
Keersten




No comments:

Post a Comment