Saturday, June 26, 2010

Pop Up Card, Hidden Message Tutorial

Remember for Father's Day I made the card with the clock and stars... I told you I was working on another design and a tutorial on how I did mine. So here goes! Here is my finished card...
So items you need are of course, your paper, cut the main paper hot dog style, 4 1/4 by 11. Your secondary cardstock, you are going to cut 4 3/4 by 3 1/4. I used orange for my primary, safron for my secondary. Then I cut designer paper, 4 1/4 by 2 3/4. You will also need your cutter and scorer, you inks, stamps and you will need tacky tape. It comes in all sizes, and mono would be nice, but doesn't hold as good as the tacky tape, and where you are pulling on the card, it would be best to use it. I used 1/8th inch. Hole punch, circle punch & ribbon are good too.
So, first I stamped my background, I used a wheel. Then I folded it in half.

Here is the underside, you can see where all the measurements are, just in case you get lost and need to remember, here they are!!

Ok, once the card is folded in half, then you are going to take your cutter and cut 3/4th inch in and up to the 4 1/2 mark. Turn your paper and starting at 3/4 inch, cut to the 3 1/2 inch line. This is 3/4 inch away from the edge. Turn your paper again and cut from the 3/4 inch mark to 4 1/2 again. Make sure that you DO NOT cut across the bottom of the card, only cut across where the fold is at. See below picture. The fold is at the bottom of the card, yet the piece cut, opens to the top. Now we are going to score.

Where the bottom of the card is, go in, and score across it, so that you can lift the piece you cut. Then move your piece down, and score on the cut section at 2 5/8's and then score again at 4 1/2. Check out the measurements picture... When you score it, you should be able to bend it this way...see below picture.

Now, on the open edges, cut a half circle, or whatever opening you want, this is where you will grab the insert and pull. Cut both pieces.

Now open up your card and inside, you will put tape on both sides, and across the little 1/4th piece you scored. Do not tape across the bottom of the card, or the top of the card.

Remove the protective film from the tape off of the 1/4inch piece. Take the secondary piece that you cut (mine is yellow) and adhere your decorative paper to it. Now you are ready to adhere it to the tape strip. Place it face down, line it up with the tape.
here I am lifting it up to show you it is taped.

here's a side view.

Now take the protective strips off of the sides, and close the card. When you pull on the secondary piece, it should pull out and look like this...

stamp your message in the open space. Stamp your design and adhere to the front of the card, making sure when you attach it, that you only attach on the bottom piece. Open the card like that so you can be sure of your placement. Punch a hole in the secondary piece and string a ribbon to pull on it.
Card closed...

Card opened and from the side.

Hope you like and you can follow my directions!!


SMILE!



2 comments:

  1. Hey Keersten! Thanks for the tutorial, that pop up card looks like a lot of fun! I'm gonna have to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete