Sunday, August 29, 2010

A complete surprise!

About 5 years ago, my dad and I went shopping for a new fruit tree.  I have a transparent apple, and plum trees, and the year before I planted a granny smith...so I wanted another apple tree to help cross pollinate.  So we looked and looked and my dad showed me how to pick a good tree from a bad one.  We bought two, and came home to plant them.
We dug some nice holes and planted one in the pasture, and one in the front flower bed.  Well, the one in the pasture died right away, not enough water and too much puppy.
The one in the front, was doing great.  Last year it got blossoms on it, just a few, and I was grateful, because half of the tree looked as if it was killed.  So this spring, the whole tree was blossomed out, soooooo pretty!  I was hoping maybe an apple or two off of it, to help the tree become more established.  The blossoms left, and I didn't see any apple buds.  Oh well...maybe next year.
Well, I was picking currents, its under the apple tree.  I looked up, and this is what I saw!  A PEAR!

My little apple tree is a pear tree!  They have the same leaves, but must have been miss labeled in the store.  I have little pears all over in it.  Not a lot, but enough for it to be really cute!  As you all know by now, I LOVE pears!  I even have a "pear" room! 
We'll have to see what happens next year!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea Pears could grow in Idaho. I am glad you and your dad made that mistake. I might try and make the same mistake!

    ReplyDelete